What can a debt lawyer do to help recover a debt?


Below is a series of questions about debt recovery.

Debt recovery can become complicated – early advice from a debt lawyer is a good approach.

A debt lawyer can help you?

  1. Send a formal letter of demand setting out the requirement for the debtor to pay and what they might expect of payment is not received.
  2. Prepare and submit a Statement of Claim at court (the Local Court has jurisdiction for small claims up to $10K and general claims up to $100K).
  3. Is aware of the time limits that applies to enable a claim.
  4. Prove the debt in court if debtor defends the claim.
  5. Obtain judgment from the court to enforce and recover the debt.

Unpaid debts are a common legal issue that many people and all small business will experience at some stage.  A debt arises where one person has agreed to pay another person money in return for something (usually goods or services). 

Q. A customer or an acquaintance owes me money – how do I get them to pay?


  • You can make a claim asking someone who owes you money to repay the money.
  • This can be done by telephone call, email, SMS or writing a letter, which could be a reminder notice for an outstanding bill.

Q. What if I have tried all this and they still have not paid?


  • If unsuccessful then speaking to a debt lawyer is often the best step to take next.
  • A common next step is to send a letter of demand, which is a formal letter with a summary of the debt and that requires the money be paid within a certain period.
  • Some businesses may have a relationship with a credit control agent, generally known as “debt collectors”, that will usually take the steps already mentioned in return for a fee.
  • Debt collectors can only take recovery so far after which they also need to refer the matter for legal action by a debt lawyer.

Q. What happens once the court gives a judgment?


  • A “judgment debt” is obtained that is enforceable to recover the money
  • A judgment debt is valid for 12 years from the date judgment is given.
  • Options to enforce the judgment debt include:
    • Examination summons – brings the debtor to court for questioning about their affairs
    • Garnishee order – on bank accounts, wages
    • Writ of execution – seizure and sale of personal property by sheriff
    • Writ against land – seizure and sale of land
  • Options to bankrupt a debtor if a person ($5,000) or wind-up a debtor company ($2,000)


We can help with debt recovery

Contact Adam or any of our offices to talk to someone about your concerns.


Was this Article Helpful?

The aim of our blog is answering legal questions that provide valuable insights and highlight changes in the law that could affect you or your business.


Subscribe to our feed and you’ll be notified whenever a new helpful article is published.